Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hand-made Christmas Stockings!

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.

I love Christmas stockings. I've already shared mine with you in a previous blog. I think I've also mentioned that I am also a wanna-be crafter. I try, but not much turns out well. Ever hopeful, I never give up. I have many stories about such 'crafts'...from blue pickles, to moldy christmas dough ornaments, and we won't even get into gingerbread houses! Well, maybe I will share the gingerbread house story with you another day in December!

One year I decided to make Christmas stockings for my family. Why should I be the only one with a special stocking? For some reason I had a sewing machine (shocking and that's a whole other story). So off I went to a fabric store (shudder) and found some cute material and trim. I was so excited!

I had no pattern of course; how hard could this be? I just drew the patterns and cut! Easy enough...looked great. Sewed the material and boom, they were finished. All I had to do was decorate with rick rack, buttons and fringe. Three darling stockings. I was so proud.

Then I turned them right-side out to begin the decorating. WHOOPS! I had not allowed the inches necessary to have a nice wide stocking, thus I ended up with stockings that were about 3 inches wide!!!! I didn't buy extra material so I was stuck. I went ahead and decorated them (wish I had a picture now) and they turned out so adorable...except for the width, of course.

Let's just say, no orange ever fit into one of them. We had a lot of laughs because each and every year I put in a banana.

Unique, that's it!
The home-made stockings were adorable and unique!
We can spin anything to a positive!!!!!

No comments: