Thursday, January 15, 2009

Speaking of Books and movies...

Early on in Oprah's Book Club I bought every book she was highlighting. I love to read and I was thrilled she was doing this on her show because like she pointed out, many women were not ever reading. So I thank Oprah for instilling the love of reading in a new way to the women who watch her show. I didn't ever like the selections she offered up though. I was in a quandry! I tried, I really did. They were all so terribly depressing I finally gave up and stopped buying her book club books.

Evidently The Reader was one of her recommendations at some point. This has now been made into a movie which I saw earlier this week. I am now going to try to find the book at a thrift store because I want to get 'more' of the story.

I can see why Kate Winslet won an award as best actress for her part in this film. She was incredible. Roy Thinnes was also very very good. Kate is the 'star' though. The character she played was so complex yet simple. I had no idea what the movie was about when I went to see it. There's nudity and a lot of it in the early part of the movie so be forewarned. I would have been fine with just 'knowing' they were nude yet not having to see it, if you know what I mean. I'm so old and so not used to this.

But the movie -- oh...I know I will never forget it. It's the kind of movie that stays with you and not the images of the nudity perse (LOL), but the images that really formed the content and meaning of the subject. I don't want to share any of the content of the movie in case you go see it. Just know that this is one thought provoking and moving, very moving film. At one point well into the film, a poignant moment had me swallowing hard so that huge sorrowful noises didn't escape from my throat. I had to gulp them back down I was so moved, and yet little noises escaped...I knew if I let those really go I would have been sobbing.

I don't have a lot of 'favorite movies' - but this one will be high on my list of five.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinnes - the guy from The Invaders??