Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic Day




We have a new family in the White House!! For those of us who are very old and were active in the civil rights movement that Martin Luther King brought forth, this is huge. To have a man of color as our President would never have happened without the civil rights movement. I'm no fan of Barack Obama's politics and would have preferred Colin Powell over anyone who ran, but this does prove that the U.S. has lessened in its racist ways.

When I was 11, in 1954, my parents moved out of Oakland to the safe suburbs in a community where a paper was in place that no negroes would be allowed to purchase a home in our development. Oakland, CA wasn't safe when I was eleven and it is even less safe today. I know they were trying to protect and care for their children. In my junior high campus there were police every day chasing someone, guns out. To pass through a series of 81 steps I had to use to get to the junior high, I had to ask permission of some hoodlums with knives. If I was alone I went far around and it took twice as long. They did make someone drink acid one day. So I understand my parents move.

Even at eleven though I saw the injustice of that piece of paper excluding negroes. I spoke up too which, if you knew me then, was so odd. I was shy and quiet. I was hushed quickly of course but at least and I don't know how, that was inside of me early on.

God created us all and we should all have the same opportunities. I am glad for the minorities who managed to get into great schools and become educated to a degree that helped them compete for good jobs and good neighborhoods. I have an acquaintance whose father was the minister of the church before Martin Luther King took his place. He was fired for being too controversial politically. You just have to smile knowing what Martin Luther King did there!

So while rejoicing in my heart that I lived this long to see this day happen, my politics doesn't match up to the new President's, but we must support and pray for this man and his family anyway. It's more important than ever so join me in prayers for their protection, wisdom, discernment and that they too look to the Lord God in every situation.
--oOo--



I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

I Timothy 2:1-4

When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
II Chronicles 7:13-14

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I only speak Texan!!