Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Community


Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing,

but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25 (NIV)




This was a difficult day. My emotions got the best of me. I struggled with the questions of why the house is not selling, the worries of how to pay my bills, and just a general sadness for the loss of family in my life. No, I didn't run to the Word. I needed prayer. I needed someone up close and personal to pray for me. I don't know anyone up here like that so I called my pal Rose Marie. I knew she was at work and looked up the number. I remembered again back to my days working in church where people would call and ask me to pray for them...people I knew and people I didn't know.


Once I got myself together I was able to blurt out..."Is anyone near you?" "No." "gulp, gulp...I need prayer Rose Marie; I need you to pray for me. I feel overwhelmed. Can you, will you?" "Of course." And she prayed...and I cried...and she prayed and I cried. And she prayed...and I was able to get out the thank you. Then we talked about it a bit. We had a good talk. It's good to talk things out, to have a listening ear, to be comforted and assured and encouraged. I am grateful to my friend, Rose Marie today... and every day. Thank you.

God knows what He is talking about when he says to not give up the meeting together. That is about church. The church building is where you can form friendships of a lifetme with a common goal in living as best we can our spiritual walk. When I look at the people who are still in my life so many of them are people I met at church. People who I fellowshipped and worshipped with, done bible studies with, played games with, ate with, traveled with and loved in community. Let me assure you we are not all little peas in a pod with the same little darling personalities, and same little purses or shoes. We have varied interests, talents, and opinions. We are the Church.


Who would I have called today when in such an emotional place if not someone who I knew would pray for me? I guess I could have called a prayer line from a TV show, but how wonderful to be able to call a friend who knows me well, warts and all and is happy to help me in any way she can.


I am grateful for my friends. I am grateful to the Lord for placing me in a wonderful community of believers over many many years now. I hope this writing today would encourage you to find a church community. It can be scary. Everyone is human there, even the pastors. Nothing and no one is perfect or even close to it. But I encourage you anyway. Like the little Mary Engelbreit poster says: Why not go out on a limb? That's where all the fruit is! So true, so true. I imagine you have a lot give (God uses everyone) and you just may need someone to pray for you in a difficult season. Church...people loving Jesus as best they can by loving others. It's good. It's sunshine. It's love.

No comments: