Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering our Veterans & My Dad


My Dad was a veteran of WWII. He enlisted in the Army and was stationed in Monterey, CA. Then he was sent to Normandy, France when I was 18 months old (in 1944) and returned when I was three. He is my first memory! I can see the airfield he landed on in Marysville, CA, the chain link fence that separated us as my mother lifted me up to see him. He gave me candy and gum and walked along the fence until the gate opening where he then picked me up & carried me to the car.


I have quite a few pictures of him in an album that he made. The first section of the album are his days in the Army and the war with he and his buddies. He used to talk about the guys he met in France during the war and one of them --Bill Cosgrove-- became my Godfather. There was a bond between these men that is like no other. They alone know what they went through, the extent of their dependence upon one another and serving one's country with valor. So today's blog is a tribute to my Dad, Francis B. Glasky, and all the veterans of all the wars that have kept us safe and protected here in America as well as those abroad.

The picture above is of Mont-St-Michel in Normandy, France. My Dad had a watercolor of that in our home. I know it brought him many, many memories of his time fighting for our freedom. Oh, he did get a medal because of his injury in the war: a rat bit his nose while he was asleep!

2 comments:

ChaChaneen said...

Beautiful tribute!

Anonymous said...

My dad enlisted in 44? When he was 17. Went to the pacific, but did not see action. A different breed of men, these Oak Men of WWII.