Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Be a goose!




The Goose Story

Next fall, (or maybe they are still passing over us now)whenyou see geese heading South for the Winter, flying along in V formation, you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way:as each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in V formation the whole flock adds at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.

When the Head Goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.

Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Finally, when a goose gets sick, or is wounded by gunshots and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly, or until it dies. Only then do they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their group.
For years I facilitated a small group bible study for women through my church. Some years it was held at the church and others at my home and usually there were groups of 6-10. At the beginning of each year I handed out The Goose Story. I love the way we can learn great lessons of encouragement, love, sacrifice, fellowship and love from the geese. Most often it wasn't long before we were living the analogy.
No one was felled by gunshot but as life hit us round the head from time to time or for a season, our bond was close enough that we stood by each other, prayed for one another, listened, and encouraged as best we could.
I remember my friend Patti's daughter who had a new baby that ended up in the icu for newborns. We were there for her in prayer and in person. That baby is now 14 and healthy and happy. Patti's mother died this past week and I was so upset that my car was broken and I couldn't get down to the Bay Area to be with her while her mom was in the hospital. I knew her brothers and sisters had all come to be together, but I really wanted to be with her too. I prayed and sent emails to let her know I was there in spirit.
We all have our struggles and our victories and need to share life with each other at deep levels.
Reach out and be a goose! ;)

2 comments:

ChaChaneen said...

Beautiful story K! As always you have wonderful and insightful things to share.

Sorry to hear about Patti's daughter, that's awful. Was she ill or did this happen suddenly?

Cocoroo said...

I love the geese story. You always have such uplifting thoughts on your blog.
Cathy