Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Alexander Solzhenitsyn - Dec 11, 1918 - August 3, 2008

When I read of the death of one of my favorite authors, memories rushed my mind and heart remembering his book which I read 46 years ago....

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
was a book that changed my thinking and enlarged my world view in a profound way. Though quite trivial in most of my pursuits at age 19, I did love to read and One Day In the Life was the Book of the Month Club's offering. An unassuming little book physically, it was to become a classic, earning the author a Nobel Peace Prize in Literature in 1970.
Both this work and Gulag Archipelago were sobering, eye-opening, sad, depressing, truthful and shameful. I learned of the suffering inside Communist prison camps via this brilliant author who knew first-hand of such a horrific experience. While he said we cannot really understand that which we have not endured, I do believe his words imprinted strongly on my heart and helped open my eyes to conditions in the world so different than my own.
In one of his poems he writes:"Bless you, prison, for having been in my life." "God of the Universe! I believe again! Though I renounced You, You were with me!"
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus - I Thessalonians 5:18

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Sassy Lass!

His writings sound like they made a big impact on you. It is amazing the hardships that bring us to God.

Lori Stilger said...

Hello, Dear One! I know it was quite a task getting your blog set up! :) I look forward to seeing what else you have to share with the world!!! :)
Love you!

KARNA said...

Lori - If not for you and ALL your help, I would have lost all patience. Your expertise and willingness throughout the day is the ONLY reason the blog exists!! Thank you; thank you - love you too!

Anonymous said...

He was a great, godly man. I read all the Gulag books,and "One Day," and "Cancer Ward," long ago. Should be mandatory reading.